PH welcomes New Year sans major incidents: PNP

MANILA – The Philippines welcomed 2025 in a “generally and relatively peaceful” way with no major untoward incidents, the Philippine National Police (PNP) said Wednesday.

“As of 6 a.m. of January 1, ang report sa atin ay generally peaceful naman yung naging pagsalubong sa Bagong Taon. Wala tayong natanggap na report na (reports reaching us indicate that New Year’s day was generally peaceful. We did not receive any report of) any significant untoward incident. Mayroon tayo (We have) 1,360 recorded cases ng illegal possession, use and sale of firecrackers,” PNP spokesperson and information chief Brig. Gen. Jean Fajardo told reporters.

Fajardo said a total of 593,094 illegal firecrackers have been seized with an estimated value of PHP3,922,678 while 73 individuals were arrested.

The police also recorded 27 cases of indiscriminate firing that resulted in five injuries, while 21 persons were apprehended and 17 firearms were confiscated.

Of the 21 persons arrested, 18 were civilians while the rest are a security guard, a police officer from Calabarzon, and an officer of the Bureau of Corrections in Zamboanga Peninsula, said Fajardo.

There were also six stray bullet injuries, 297 firecracker-related injuries, and one death due to firecrackers.

Fajardo noted that the 27 cases of indiscriminate firing is higher than the 20 recorded last year, though the number of injuries was down to five from seven last year.

PNP chief Gen. Rommel Francisco Marbil previously ordered all police units across the country to prioritize public safety during the New Year celebrations.

Fewer fire incidents in NCR

Meanwhile, the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) said there were fewer fire incidents in Metro Manila during the New Year compared to last year.

In a radio interview, BFP spokesperson Fire Senior Supt. Annalee Carbajal-Atienza said official reports reaching the national headquarters indicate only one fire incident.

However, unofficially, the BFP noted nine fire incidents in the National Capital Region from 12:17 a.m. to 5:21 a.m., she said.

“Although sa (in the) official report is one [fire incident] sa ngayong taon yung (this) January 1, last year ay (it was) 54. So, makikita natin talaga yung difference ng pagbaba (we can see a big decrease),” she added.

Carbajal-Atienza said the BFP has yet to determine the causes of these fires. (PNA)

Related articles

Light rain expected in parts of the Philippines

The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA)...

American author addresses misidentification in Duterte case discussions

American author Nicholas Kaufmann has reiterated his plea to...

PRRD asks Padilla to return to Philippines for election campaign

Former President Rodrigo Duterte has requested Senator Robinhood Padilla...

Sara Duterte acknowledges Marcos for facilitating reconnection with detained father

Vice President Sara Duterte expressed gratitude to President Ferdinand...

BJMP, PCG lead surprise inspection at Brooke’s Point District Jail

BATANGAS CITY, Batangas — The government’s intensified crackdown on...