Western Visayas records 154 fireworks-related injuries

ILOILO CITY – Western Visayas logged 154 fireworks-related injuries, with most cases recorded in Iloilo province, the Department of Health Western Visayas Center for Health Development (DOH WV CHD) said on Thursday.

“A total of 39-fireworks-related injuries was reported on the Online National Electronic Injury Surveillance System by the sentinel hospitals from 6 a.m. December 21 to 5:59 a.m. January 2,” the report said.

Fourteen of the 39 cases were from Iloilo province, 11 from Iloilo City, six from Negros Occidental, and eight from Bacolod City.

The DOH also reported that there was no stray bullet injury, fireworks ingestion, or death from the sentinel sites.

The 115 other cases were from non-sentinel sites, with Negros Occidental logging 33 cases, Aklan (23), Iloilo province (22), Antique (11), Capiz (14), Guimaras (7), and Bacolod City (5).

Based on the data, the most common injury was blast or burn with no amputation with 102 and eye injury with 42.

The most common type of firecracker was boga, with 41, followed by kwitis, 5-star, and unlabeled or imported firecrackers, with 17 each.

In the same period last year, the DOH WV CHD recorded 261 cases. (PNA)

Related articles

Recto defends use of PhilHealth funds, citing debt reduction, economic recovery

Finance Secretary Ralph Recto defended the government's decision to...

Philippines works to locate missing Filipinos in Myanmar earthquake

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) has stated that...

Philippine infra spending reaches P1.545 Trillion in 2024

The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) reported that...

Light rain expected in parts of the Philippines

The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA)...

American author addresses misidentification in Duterte case discussions

American author Nicholas Kaufmann has reiterated his plea to...