OCD readies ‘Plan Exodus’ amid Mt. Kanlaon’s restiveness

MANILA – The Office of Civil Defense (OCD) said Tuesday it is drawing up “Plan Exodus” on the evacuation of Canlaon City residents should Mt. Kanlaon’s restiveness lead to a hazardous eruption.

OCD 7 (Central Visayas) Director Joel Erestain said discussions have been ongoing with the Department of Human Settlements and Urban Development since September last year.

“One of the challenges is to look for a land where we can evacuate our countrymen,” he said.

Erestain also emphasized the critical nature of preparing for a potential doomsday scenario.

“It is inevitable that Canlaon will be buried. And we have to be prepared for the worst-case scenario. Good thing the DENR (Department of Environment and Natural Resources) has lands where we could temporarily relocate,” he added.

The OCD is also strategizing for the systematic transport of residents should Alert Level 4 be raised, indicating that a hazardous eruption is imminent.

“What we’re looking at as our way out of Canlaon City is the road going to Vallehermoso, a nearby town. There’s a path going to La Castellana but if you go that route, you are still inside. So that’s not possible. I think there’s also a route toward San Carlos but that’s not also applicable. Then there’s another one leading to Benedicto. We’ve practically checked everything,” Erestain said. (PNA)

Related articles

Recto defends use of PhilHealth funds, citing debt reduction, economic recovery

Finance Secretary Ralph Recto defended the government's decision to...

Philippines works to locate missing Filipinos in Myanmar earthquake

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) has stated that...

Philippine infra spending reaches P1.545 Trillion in 2024

The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) reported that...

Light rain expected in parts of the Philippines

The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA)...