Nothing final yet on Veloso’s potential pardon: Palace

MANILA – Malacañang on Tuesday said nothing is final yet on the possible pardon for overseas Filipino worker (OFW) Mary Jane Veloso, who is set to return to the Philippines after over a decade of imprisonment in Indonesia.

Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin said the government, at the moment, is focused on facilitating her immediate return.

“Nothing to say yet on what may happen. The priority of President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. is to have Veloso repatriated without delay,” Bersamin told reporters when asked about the potential for a presidential pardon in the wake of recent developments.

Veloso was arrested and sentenced to death in 2010 after the suitcase she was carrying was found to be lined with 2.6 kg. of heroin.

She had maintained her innocence, saying she was an unwitting drug mule for a Philippine employment recruiter.

She was given a last-minute reprieve in April 2015 when the Philippine government informed Indonesia that her recruiters had surrendered.

Last month, Marcos bared that Indonesia agreed to repatriate Veloso.

Malacañang on Monday evening confirmed Veloso’s imminent return to the country, adding that the country will honor the terms of her return, details of which have yet to be disclosed. (PNA)

Related articles

Philippines works to locate missing Filipinos in Myanmar earthquake

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) has stated that...

Philippine infra spending reaches P1.545 Trillion in 2024

The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) reported that...

Light rain expected in parts of the Philippines

The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA)...

American author addresses misidentification in Duterte case discussions

American author Nicholas Kaufmann has reiterated his plea to...

PRRD asks Padilla to return to Philippines for election campaign

Former President Rodrigo Duterte has requested Senator Robinhood Padilla...